Recent Images

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balasinde

re: Thursday "Freebie," 07/09/2015, and This Week's Sa

Felicitations.

The Thursday Freebie beginning 07/09/2015 is +100% Infamy/Renown Gain x1

Coupon Code:   RENIN1     

(I'm actually not sure what this does, but I'll get it anyway. It's free!)

I hope everyone is sure of how to obtain the freebie and use the Coupon Codes. The freebies are given out by Turbine, the gaming studio that operates Lord of the Rings Online. There is no cost to obtain the freebie.

THIS WEEK'S SALES

The sales below cost "Turbine Points" (TP). TP can be gained "in-game" for completing certain actions, or purchased "out-game" from Turbine's www.lotro.com website or the LOTRO "in-game" Store. My experience has been that the in-game Store seems to offer a better deal, but I can't promise that.

Unlike the freebie, the sales are discounts on regularly-priced items purchased using TP. They come with a cost, so use prudent judgment about whether or not it would help you.

VIRTUES, 25% off. TP395 TP296

There is a section for the Virtues that also includes your Class Skills (for your chosen class, such as a Hunter, Minstrel, Champion, Captain of Men, etc.) and your Racial Skills. The Virtue section has four (maybe it's five) boxes set in a line in the center of the page that "unlock" as you gain experience. Surrounding those boxes are an ellipse (squashed circle) with more boxes. Usually some will show a little picture and you can choose to demonstrate that Virtue in your Character's career. The Virtues unlock as you accomplish helpful tasks in Middle-Earth.

However, some of the boxes might have a gold coin with a blue background. The gold coin represents our friend: the Turbine Point! If you so choose, you can buy a Virtue (wasn't that done in the Middle Ages? Hehe.). Additionally, if you have a Virtue already, you can pay to increase that Virtue's rank and ability.

I haven't purchased a "new" Virtue, but I have purchased an increase in a Virtue that I already had. My playstyle is such that this sale would be handy for me.

Remember: As you complete helpful tasks throughout Middle-Earth, the Virtues do unlock and I'd imagine that some also increase in rank, too.

VIRTUE BUNDLES, 25% off. TP1,400 to TP2,500 TP1,050 to TP1,875

Presumably, you can purchase a "bunch" of Virtues at the same time. I didn't know that and have never done that. My guess is that it might be several ranks of the same Virtue (Courage or Innocence or Humility, etc.), and not a group of different Virtues (Courage and Innocence and Humility, etc.). But I don't really know.

Even on sale, the cost of these Virtue Bundles are steep. I can't really say much about it since I've never bought a Virtue Bundle.

TRAIT SLOTS, 25% off. TP95 to TP195 TP71 to TP146

Unless things have SIGNIFiCANTLY changed, this can be a really upsetting purchase, even on sale. As I mention in the paragraph about Virtues, there are also Class Traits and Racial Traits. At one time, you might accidentally buy a Virtue slot, or a Class slot, or a Racial slot, when you really wanted a Trait slot of a different kind. If this was changed (I'd say "fixed"!), then it wouldn't be so upsetting. 

There is a hint, though. Go to the pages of the Class Traits, Racial Traits, and Virtue Traits. If you click on a box/slot and it opens the LOTRO in-game Store, you might be able to purchase that box/slot. I believe that there are only four or five Virtue boxes/slots and only four or five Racial boxes/slots. Your Class Traits will have more... but these are the little things that run from top to bottom on the far left side of the Class page! You won't be able to use them until after you've allocated enough experience points through gameplay to "get to use them." So you could find yourself with "unlocked Class traits" that are... basically unusable at a low level. :-( 

I've done just about all you can do with these Trait Slots: good, bad, and ugly. Mama said there'd be days like this. What you have to reckon is this: Should I use my TP now while this is on sale, as an investment that I cannot yet use; or should I wait and see if this sale comes around again?

SKILL & SLAYER DEED BOOSTS, 25% off. TP150 to TP3,000 TP113 to TP2,250

Did you get in on last week's Thursday freebie? If you got it and checked it out, then you know what this is. If you just got the freebie last week, but haven't had a chance to use it, then you might try and it and see what you think. If you missed out on that freebie... sorry. :-(

If you've never used this Boost, it can be somewhat difficult to explain. My experience has been that this Boost comes up as a Freebie pretty often, though. 

Here is how it works: Say you have to kill 30 Wolves. You go around and kill one wolf. You still need to kill 29 Wolves. Basic math. If you activate this Boost, though, it will count each kill "slaying" as 2. In our example: We need to kill 29 Wolves still. We activate this Boost and kill one more wolf, now you only need to kill 27 Wolves. I hope that makes sense. This Boost works no matter the level of the Creature, so long as it's the correct type of Creature. (So if you need to kill Orcs, killing a Goblin doesn't do the trick.)

Then there is another aspect to this Boost. Remember that page in the Deeds where you're supposed to use a Class action a lot of times, like "Penetrating Shot" or "yelling enough to scare a ghost," those things? And it seems like it would be difficult to do it 500 times, and some have a "daily cap," so no matter how many times you "scream encouragement," "heal a stranger," "set a trap," or "sing a lullaby" (or whatever, hehe), you might only be able to do it 50 times a day.

When this Boost is activated, not only does it help with the Slaying (above paragraph), but if you use one of your Class Skills in an appropriate manner, then it will count as if you did it twice! But... what is "an appropriate manner"? If you are supposed to "Use the Sword Style of Elendil" or "Double-Knockback," etc., it must be against a "tough" opponent. So it can't be a bear with a "greyed-out name above his head." It would need to be an opponent that would fight you back! Usually they have green names or other colors depending on how difficult it would be to kill it. So going around killing shrews as you "Use the Sword Style of Elendil" or "Set a Trap" won't make good use of this Boost.

I haven't tried all the Classes, so I am most familiar with a Hunter. The Hunter has a Class Skill to see where a certain creature might be in the area, and later a certain type of humanoid (Goblin, Orc, Man). Even if all the creatures or humanoids have grey names, attempting the Skill counts, and the Boost also counts it as 2. The same goes with a Hunter's Class Skill called "Focus." This emulates when an archer (in real life) aims for a target and pulls back on his bow. "Focus" takes a few seconds and uses a minimal amount of Power, but it allows you to do more efffective attacks. So you can use "Focus" even against grey-named opponents. And the Boost would count it as 2.

So that was a really long explanation!

But I think that this Boost does come around as a Freebie enough that a purchase isn't necessary. My playstyle is such that if I see I need to "Slay 50 Wolves in the Shire" and I see I've killed 36, I might run around looking for another 14 Wolves. Using "Focus" or "Use the Sword Style of Elendil" will eventually reach that 500 level, though it could take patience. All in all, it depends on your playstyle!

Happy gaming!

Joscelyn Joy
Officer

re: Thursday "Freebie," 07/09/2015, and This Week's Sa

Nice explanations! :)

Renown/Infamy is for the pvp aspect of the game... but I don't do that, so not so sure exactly how that works.

All things work together for good to them that love the Lord, -Rom 8:28

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reflections of the Light Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum