Recent Images

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lsuman
Council

re: Open Course on LOTR, Hosted in LOTRO! Kin sponsorship maybe?

This last Tuesday, The Tolkien Professor Corey Olsen began a new course on the Lord of the Rings books, hosted in LOTRO. He does the class Tuesday evenings in-game, with it being streamed to twitch and uploaded to youtube afterwards. I watched the first class this week and loved it, and thought it would be awesome if our kin (and any interested alliance members) could be a sponsor one week! Let me know what you think about this idea; I also highly recommend going back and watching the first class, which can be found on Signum U's Youtube channel.

Here is some more info about the class and what sponsoring kins have to do, found on the lotro forums.

Class Info:

An Open Course on the Lord of the Rings, hosted in LOTRO!

Hi All!

My name is Corey Olsen, known online as The Tolkien Professor. You might have heard of my podcast of that name, or maybe seen my Hobbit book, Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. I am also the President of Signum University, home of what might be the coolest Master's Degree program on earth (Exhibit A: http://signumuniversity.org/departme...lkien-studies/). For several years, I've been doing fun open courses and programs that everyone is invited to join in: the Mythgard Academy series (in-depth of discussions of books elected by my viewers), the Silmarillion Film Project (a detailed discussion for hardcore geeks of a totally theoretical TV adaptation of Tolkien's Silmarillion), and more recently my adventures in LOTRO streaming on Twitch (my weekly Gryfflet streams on Fridays at 1:00 PM EST on LOTROStream, as well as various streams on our own channel, www.Twitch.tv/signumu). 

Anyway, this January, I am launching a major new program which I am really excited about. It is called Exploring the Lord of the Rings, and in it I plan to conduct a chapter-by-chapter detailed discussion of the Lord of the Rings. The discussions will take place on Tuesday evenings, 9:30 PM server time, starting on Tolkien's 125th birthday: January 3, 2017. In each session, I will spend an hour or so (okay, probably 90 minutes) discussing the book chapter and its themes, reading passages and doing some close reading so that we can really get into the story as it unfolds. I will broadcast the class sessions on the SignumU Twitch channel, and the discussion will be highly interactive; everyone attending will be able to participate in the discussion. I will also be in-game throughout the class. For the book-discussion portion of class, my character won't be doing much, though you are welcome to join me in our lecture hall (location TBA). For the last 30 minutes or so of the session, however, we will be taking a weekly field trip in game. We will go visit places in the game connected with the part of the text we were just discussing, and we will examine both the visual representation and the related quest and story lines. So in the end, we will be both studying the Lord of the Rings and also thinking about the adaptation of the story that the Turbine folks have done (which I think is brilliant).

So, if you've ever wanted to study the Lord of the Rings in depth and would be interested in joining me on this long and fun journey of lore, join me on twitch.tv/signumu at 9:30 PM EST on January 3. For those whose time zones make this inconvenient (my apologies to the good people of Europe!), recordings of the sessions will be posted promptly on the Signum YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUx...4uXhEfqgI6GtIg).

Oh, and one more thing! In order to give people across different servers an opportunity to participate (I've always played on Landroval, myself), I will be rotating the class sessions from one server to another. I'll publish the schedule soon. If you are in a kinship that might be interested in joining one of these class sessions as a kin event and coming along with me on that week's field trip, let me know (corey.olsen@signumu.org). I look forward to getting to meet lots of Tolkien fans across LOTRO's servers. 

I am greatly looking forward to this new adventure!

- Corey Olsen

The Tolkien Professor

Signum University

www.signumuniversity.org

Sponsorship Info:

Calling All Kinships! You’re Invited to Sponsor a Class Session of “Exploring The Lord of the Rings”

The course “Exploring The Lord of the Rings,” taught by Signum University founder and president Corey Olsen (as Narnion the Gondorian Loremaster) takes place every Tuesday (well, most every Tuesday, depending on Corey’s business and family schedules) at 9:30 pm at the Lore Hall on the Scholars Stairs in Bree.

We will rotate servers each week based on interest and demand, and that’s where your kinship comes in.

You are invited to sponsor a class session on your server. What’s involved? Three things:

1. Your kin will assist Maevenn, Narnion’s ginger-haired hobbit sidekick (aka me), with logistics. This includes: 

-- Stationing kinnies along both routes (from west and south gates) to guide people to the Lore Hall. 

-- It also may involve circulating through the group to hand out food, drink and pipeweed (if available), and perhaps cheering at the right points in the lecture. 

-- It will likely include helping me make sure everyone relocates to the in-game location of the week as quickly as possible.

2. Your kin leader or a designee will open each session and introduce Narnion. You are welcome to say a bit about your kin and your activities as part of your introduction.

3. After the class session is over, your kin members are invited into a special Discord channel with Corey for a live question and answer with him. Just you, your kinnies and Corey.

This is a first-come, first-served thing at this point, meaning that we will schedule the server locations for the classes in the order that requests to sponsor come in (except we want to avoid being on the same server too often).

If you are interested in sponsoring a class session or have questions about it, please email me at trish.lambert@signumu.org.

Short version of this entire post: There's an awesome new LOTR class hosted in-game, and our kin has an opportunity to be a part of it!

This definitely does sound interesting, I was meaning to go to the first one last week on landroval but I didn't make it. I'm going to try to make it to the next one next week which is on Crickhollow. I wonder when they will be coming to Gladden?

I edited this to make it an announcement.  If enough folks are interested (It sounds like we'll need a decent number to help with logistics) I will contact him and get us in line for this cool event. :D

All things work together for good to them that love the Lord, -Rom 8:28

Curandil
Officer

I think I heard him say Gladden will be the next week. Trying to find confirmation.

edit: Confirmed, according to the 12/16/16 Tolkien Professor Twitch stream on the Lotro channel (also on Lotro's YouTube channel) at around 1:24:06

Curathorn - Beorning, Curulindil - Man Minstrel, Curadoc - Hobbit Burglar, Norstrom - Dwarf Guardian, Nimring - Elf Champion, Ethrendil - Man Captain, Curavar - Dwarf Rune-keeper Curabanker - Hobbit Warden/Bank Guard
''...speak to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making music to the Lord in your heart" Ephesians 5:19
Kinsanth: You can take the hunter out of whatever, but not the hunter out of blah blah blah.
"Be not so eager to advance that you fail to experience the moment, in life and in all things." - Deluros, Rivendell
Joscelyn Joy
Officer

Wow, that's fast.... wondering if we could pull it off, or if someone already spoke up to sponsor.

Curandil
Officer

They didn't name a sponsor, and I haven't found an official schedule yet. But if they already have it scheduled, they likely have a sponsor.

Curathorn - Beorning, Curulindil - Man Minstrel, Curadoc - Hobbit Burglar, Norstrom - Dwarf Guardian, Nimring - Elf Champion, Ethrendil - Man Captain, Curavar - Dwarf Rune-keeper Curabanker - Hobbit Warden/Bank Guard
''...speak to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making music to the Lord in your heart" Ephesians 5:19
Kinsanth: You can take the hunter out of whatever, but not the hunter out of blah blah blah.
"Be not so eager to advance that you fail to experience the moment, in life and in all things." - Deluros, Rivendell
Joscelyn Joy
Officer

That's a good point. I hope to get some more idea with allies too, if we would have the number to host one of these. I think that I would like to attend Tues. :D I hope it works out to be able to do that!

Lsuman
Council

I think their server schedule is based on who wants to sponsor. If we apply to sponsor, I'm sure they'll come back to Gladden

Please feel free to mention it to our allies & other kinnies, even when I'm not ingame.

Joscelyn Joy
Officer

OH my!  Yesterday was Tues.... I didn't even think about it till almost 11pm... & that's just cause Gran asked if I went! /slap head

did anyone go?

Razors_Kiss
Council

I totally forgot, too. lol.

Curandil
Officer

They were actually in Arkenstone Tuesday.  I still haven't seen the official schedule anywhere.  If you want to catch up on the classes, they are on the Signum U Twitch channel and YouTube channel. You can't participate, but there is still some interesting discussion.

-edit:

Found the calendar on their forums: http://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?forums/calendar.69/

Gladden is scheduled for January 24, sponsored by the Rangers of the West kin.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reflections of the Light Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum