Recent Images

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reflections of the Light Forum Index -> Devotions.Meditations.Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balasinde

re: St. Paul's Second Epistle to Timothy, 3: 14 - 15.

Today's Scriptural Message was especially inspiring.

I used www.biblegateway.com to see it in my most favored versions (however, I added a little more context):

"Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou has known the holy scriptures, which are able to make tee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scriptures if given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the [believer] of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." (KJV, II Tim. 3:12-17).

Here it is in Mounce Reverse-Interlinear New Testament; I love "Mounce" in that it "reverses" the "interlinear" of koine Greek, the style of the Greek written language used during the time of Christ's earthly walk among men and that of His apostles; St. Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles, so though not present during Christ's earthly walk, no less and apostle. You can see the English equivalent (the "reverse" into English above the line "interlinear" of koine Greek; you are seeing the actual words that make up what was written down). Also helpful is Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible :

(which see:   http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html  ; it's history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong'_Concordance)

Strong and his collaborators attempt to assign every word in the Old Testament (Hebrew and Chaldean --when the Israelites were captive in Babylon) and every word of the New Testament (written in koine Greek). The version of the Bible available to most English-speaker's at the time was the King Jame's version, which was actually named the Authorized Version.

Each number in Strong's is like so (as in Psalms 110:1): "sit" H3427.

to dwell, remain, sit, abide

1. (Qal)

1. to sit, sit down

2. to be set

3. to remain, stay

4. to dwell, have one's abode

2. (Niphal) to be inhabited

3. (Piel) to set, place

4. (Hiphil)

1. to cause to sit

2. to cause to abide, set

3. to cause to dwell

4. to cause (cities) to be inhabited

5. to marry (give an dwelling to)

5. (Hophal)

1. to be inhabited

2. to make to dwell

In the New Testament, asking a question to those around him, Christ uses the word in Greek (to which Strong's assigns G2521) this definition:

1. to sit down, seat one's self

2. to sit, be seated, of a place occupied

1. to have a fixed abode, to dwell

You can see how a word might have multiple meanings, like a dictionary would show. (Let me tell you, when my family used Strong's for daily Bible study, there was no "H" nor "G" like it has here. To look up an individual word, there was the Hebrew/Chaldean section in front, and Greek section in the back. 

I wish that Mounce translated the Old Testament (also known as the Hebrew Bible), but only the New Testament was done.

12 Indeedde alsokai allpas ·ho wishingthelō to livezaō godly liveseusebōs inen ChristChristos JesusIēsous will be persecuteddiōkō, 13 whilede wickedponēros peopleanthrōpos andkai impostorsgoēs will advanceprokoptō from bad toepi ·ho worsecheirōn, deceivingplanaō andkai being deceivedplanaō. 14 Butde yousy, remainmenō inen whathos you have learnedmanthanō andkai have been convincedpistoō of, knowingoida frompara whomtis you learnedmanthanō 15 andkai thathoti fromapo childhoodbrephos you have knownoida theho sacredhieros writingsgramma, whichho are abledynamai to make yousy wisesophizō foreis salvationsōtēria throughdia faithpistis thatho is inen ChristChristos JesusIēsous.16 Allpas Scripturegraphē is breathed out by Godtheopneustos andkai is profitableōphelimos forpros teachingdidaskalia, forpros reproofelegmos, forpros correctingepanorthōsis, forpros trainingpaideia ·ho inen righteousnessdikaiosynē, 17 so thathina theho mananthrōpos ofho Godtheos may beeimi <span class="gh-group G787" style="box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;

Joscelyn Joy
Officer

re: St. Paul's Second Epistle to Timothy, 3: 14 - 15.

Wow. That is really cool. I like the Mounce translation.... I can't imagine how long even the new testament took. But it is very clear that way. I have a Interliner Bible that is now reverse done and it is really cool, but takes a good bit of concentration because I still think in English (my only real language. ha.) which makes the sentence structure backwards to me.

I also like how it says "wishing" to live godly lives. I know that no matter how much we try, we all do mess up from time to time. Sometimes we forget that God knew we would (even after being given a new life) and gives us grace.  I am SO thankful for His Grace!

Thanks for sharing!

All things work together for good to them that love the Lord, -Rom 8:28

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reflections of the Light Forum Index -> Devotions.Meditations.Thoughts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: