Recent Images

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reflections of the Light Forum Index -> Devotions.Meditations.Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balasinde

re: Meditation for August 24th, 2015.

Dear Fellow Believers,

I have been pondering something for several months now, and wanted to share it with y'all. It is quite long, so you might not care to read it all. However, I would really appreciate some feedback. Am I on the right track? Am I hardline or sectarian? I want to be open to the voice to the Holy Spirit, committed to Christ, and have a love for the Word of God. That is the reason I wrote this and desired to share it.

Yours,

Matthew Tobin of Houston, Texas

The Anointing

“This is my Bible. I am what it says I am. I have what it says I have. I can do what it says I can do. Today I will be taught the Word of God. I boldly confess: My mind is alert. My heart is receptive.

I will never be the same. I am about the receive the incorruptible, indestructible, ever-living seed of the Word of God. I will never be the same. Never, never, never. I’ll never be the same.

In Jesus’ Name. Amen.”

-- Pastor John Osteen, 1921 - 1999, Lakewood Church of Houston, Texas

The above quote was the preface which the late Pastor John Osteen would give before every sermon at Lakewood Church. His son, Joel Osteen, isn’t quite so vocal from the pulpit about the Word of God, and he and his wife Victoria have said some rather controversial things. Unlike Pastor John Osteen, his son has also rented the massive convention center in Houston known as The Summit on 59 South inside Loop 610, which is also somewhat controversial. As a Houstonian, I was blessed on several occasions to hear the preaching of Pastor John Osteen.

For several months, I have pondered what “the anointing” means, especially as it regards ministers of the Lord. Most of you are aware that I am Roman Catholic, but I was raised to appreciate the Word of God, and so what I share will be from Scripture and hopefully not skewed to any idiosyncratic bent.

I feel sharing full Scripture is important, because it not only reinforces my love for it, but also I’m not fond of having to search about when I am reading what I feel to be a lesson from the Lord. I’ll not only provide the reference, but type out the verses in full. The references are provided, so that you can check my work to see that I am not “proof-texting,” something that I feel to be unseemly (at best), and borders on breaking the Commandment of taking the Lord’s Name in vain. Scripture is the Word of God, intentionally misinterpreting or misrepresenting Him, I believe, is sinful.

First and foremost, I wish to provide encouragement to what has been known as the doctrine of the “priesthood of all believers.” This doctrine is Biblically-sound, as witnessed in these verses:

“Now, therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.”

--Exodus 19:5 - 6

“But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people: that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.”

--First Epistle of St. Peter, Chapter 2, verses 9 - 10.

All believers in Christ Jesus are his royal priests, his holy nation, and his special people. Each of us have been called out to be his servants and witnesses to others, both them that believe and those who as yet do not know Christ. Some individuals, like Samuel, have heard the voice of the Lord and have a vocation (“calling”) to serve him and his children in a unique, supernatural way. These are the individuals I am writing about today. The Bible mentions differing types of anointing, but the anointing I am writing about is that of those called of God to be pastors (shepherds) of his flock and unique ministers.

To be a pastor and minister has special blessings along with special instructions God has given to the churches. I will share what I feel to be relevant, and might make some comments that I feel clarify things. One personal belief is that the Word of God, in its original autographs, is breathed of the Holy Spirit and is entirely free of error. There are many Scriptures that can be cited for this belief, but since that is not the purpose of this message, I will not presently go into them. Perhaps I can in another lesson, as I feel that would be edifying, too.

Some of the verses may mention the anointing of kings, prophets, bishops, deacons, or priests, but I am applying those verses to what today we know as church pastors or church ministers. I am not trying to cause confusion, but share a general Biblically-based summary. Also, I will use the term “pastor,” instead of “minister,” for brevity. I know that not all entitled ministers are pastors, and in some churches there are grades of pastorship and ministry (associate pastor, music minister, youth minister, etc.).

This solemn promise is unique in all of Scripture, because it is the only time that the Lord both swears an oath in his Name, and states that this self-same oath is completely irrevocable.

“The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, ‘Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.”

--Psalms 110:4.

There are things which may be said about “what a priest is” or what the “order of Melchizedek is,” but it suffices to say that those who have been sincerely touched by God as pastors to his flock are indelibly marked to his service.

God has promised protection to his ministers, and this protection is something that believers should uphold and defend. If Scriptures tells us not to murmur nor be back-biters, that is especially true of those who serve the church in good faith.

“And [David] said unto his men, ‘The Lord forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the Lord’s anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the Lord.’”

--First Samuel, Chapter 24, verse 6.

“And David said to [his follower] Abishai, ‘Destroy [King Saul] not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the Lord’s anointed, and be guiltless?’ David said furthermore, ‘As the Lord liveth, the Lord shall smite him; or his day shall come to die; or he shall descend into battle, and perish. The Lord forbid that I should stretch forth mine hand against the Lord’s anointed: but, I pray thee, take thou now the spear that is at his bolster, and the cruse of water, and let us go.’”

--First Samuel, Chapter 26, verses 9 -11.

“Saying, ‘Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm.’”

--Psalms 105:15

“Saying, ‘Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm.’”

--First Chronicles, Chapter 16, verse 22.

As we can see, the exact Scriptural admonitions are mentioned exactly twice, which I would consider to mean this is given of the Holy Spirit as important for us to understand and obey.

God requires provision be made for his ministers, and such should be graciously given by believers. This doesn’t necessarily mean that pastors of God’s flock will be made rich in this world’s goods, but as the Scripture below indicates, the idea of having him be “poor as a church-mouse,” is also unacceptable.

“Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.”

--Deuteronomy 24:4.

“For it is written in the law of Moses, ‘thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn.’ Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel live of the gospel.”

--St. Paul’s First Epistle to the Corinthians, Chapter 9, verses 9 - 13.

On the other hand, God has prerequisites for those called to be pastors to his flock.

“This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre; Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. And let these also first be proved; and let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless. Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things. Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.”

--St. Paul’s First Epistle to Timothy, Chapter 3, verses 1 - 12.

“If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince gainsayers.”

--St. Paul’s Epistle to Titus, Chapter 1, verses 6 - 9.

We can see in history, depending on how we view differing churches, that being lax in following St. Paul the Apostle’s teachings in this regard is detrimental not only to Christians but also all of contemporary society.

If you can spare me some humor here, there was a used car dealership I visited. Signage on one car said, “One Owner.” I asked about that, and the used car salesman clarified that by saying, “There has been only one owner at a time.”

In this day and age, it can be rather difficult to find someone with a vocation (calling) to ministry that fulfills the Biblical prerequisites laid down, written St. Paul the Apostle. Although it may be tempting to hold a “hard line” approach, we should remember that God looks at the heart. God offers forgiveness to the worst of sinners, and were we to hold a grudge on God’s behalf or to help God out, that shows an attitude of pridefulness on our part.

My suggestion would be something I’ve done in the past: ask for an appointment with the pastor of a church. Come prepared with questions about not only the church’s beliefs and stances on issues, but if you have concerns about church leadership, ask about that also. Years ago, I had an audience with the United Methodist pastor in my neighborhood and asked about that church’s stance on abortion. The church no longer meets at that location, but the pastor was knowledgeable about what his church believed and taught, not just on spiritual matters but also the social issues, too.

Additionally, God lays out some strong punishments regarding those who claim to speak in his Name and lead the flock as pastor. I will share from Scripture, and then give some comments below.

“If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, ‘Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;’ Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Ye shall walk after the Lord your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him. And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the Lord thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.”

--Deuteronomy 13:1 -5.

It should be obvious that we aren’t to kill such a man, and I am using that role as a proxy for a pastor of God’s flock. Instead, it serves as a warning that such a minister could’ve has lost his commitment to the Gospel and if not spiritual dead, then suffering spiritual decay. Individuals of integrity may do well to remove themselves from his leadership. Believers who are especially strong in their faith, familiar with Scripture, and have confidence, might confront the minister. Like all people, ministers make mistakes. All of us say things we regret or might be foolish. Sharing Gospel principles and the teachings of Christ even with ministers, is of great benefit. Pastors are Christians, too, and they need encouragement and edification from the Word of God.

MMT

08/24/2015

Wallgorn

Very good! I am an adult convert to Catholicism. I joined the Roman Catholic Church on the Easter Vigil in April 2009. My dad is a cradle Catholic who left the Church is his early twenties. He came home in 2008. I was raised in a Pentecostal denomination in California.

Balasinde

That is cool. I like your story. My father was raised Catholic and went to the Maryknoll Junior Seminary right before 6th grade, but was returned home. He lived during the Vietnam War, became atheist, and rejected the Catholic Church until his death.

Later, he joined the Unity Church of Christianity (which is different from the Unitarian Universalist Church). Unity Church of Christianity is New Age, and believes in an aspect of Christ, so to speak. From a small child, I've always believed in God. I remember asking, "Why is it called 'Good Friday' if that was when Jesus was crucified?" Around 3rd grade, we joined a Charismatic church, which was a something of a "break-away" from the Assemblies of God over some doctrinal issues. As you may know, Elvis Presley was Assemblies of God.

Because we wanted to home-school based on Biblical principles, we had to get approval from our pastor. This wouldn't happen, as most of his family were public school teachers! We joined another congregation which was also a "break-away" from the Assemblies of God, but for a  leadership issue, not a doctrinal one.

When people ask me how I was raised, for the sake of simplicity, I'll say, "I was a Bible-thumper." Because of our church experience, private Christian schooling, and home-school, I have a fairly good understanding of Scripture and use Biblical principles as much as possible. I use the term "Charismatic" because Pope St. John Paul II felt a fresh breath of the Holy Spirit, which he termed "the Second Pentecost" that included such experiences as the speaking in other tongues. The Second Pentecost was taking place not only in the Catholic Church, but also among "new" believers in Latin America, Eastern Europe, Africa, and even predominantly Muslim nations. On both sides of my family, Catholic and Protestant, speaking in other tongues was believed in and routinely practiced. I avoid the use of "Pentecostal," though, as there are many United Pentecostals not only in Texas, but also in the Greater Houston Area. You might be aware of UPC, their beliefs, customs, and practices.

I converted to the Roman Catholic Church based on a belief I felt was Scriptural, but also because one of the teachings from our home-school program (IBLP & ATIA) was to willingly surrender your rights and expectations to God. This entailed placing oneself under the "umbrella of protection" in one's family, work, and church life. That wasn't so easy with my father.

My father divorced Mama after 24 years of marriage, I was about age 23. She later married a Catholic, and went through the RCIA program before marrying my stepfather. Although Mama is rather devout, she and I still hold to a lot of the principles of IBLP & IBLP. My sister attends a local Bible-believing church, and her two sons have been baptized there.

My younger nephew, who is age 10, was helping me pump gasoline and was startled when the pump suddenly clicked off, and accidentally took the Lord's Name in vain. To my surprise, he immediately prayed, unashamedly, "Lord, please forgive me for using Jesus' Name like I did." At meals, we unashamedly say grace, not in a drawn-out Catholic manner, but in a simpler format since usually we ask me nephews to do it.

Well, that's part of my story and I'm stickin' with it! Thanks be to God, the Father of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!

Wallgorn

My dad left his Catholic faith because he chose to chase sin instead of following God.  He married a woman he met and later she divorced him. He was excommunicated from the Church.  He later gave his life to Christ.  When he came back to Christianity, he chose an Episcopalian because that was close to his Catholic upbringing. Years later he met my mom at a Pentecostal church called Valley Christian Center in Fresno, CA. They were married there. I was born in 1980 and my brother was born in 1982. My dad was away from the Catholic Church for 50 years. In 2007/2008, he was TV channel surfing and stumbled upon several Catholic programs. Those programs brought him back to the Catholic Church. He sought and received an annulment from the Church so that he could receive the Holy Eucharist. It was the Church's teaching of the Real Presence of Christ (Body, Blood, Soul & Divinity) in the Eucharist that brought my dad back. He married my mom in the Catholic Church in 2008. My mom and I went through RCIA in 2008/2009.

I gave my life to Christ in 1986 when I was six years old. I was baptized in water when I was a teenager (in Jr. High, I think). I chose Charles in honor of Charlemagne for my saint's name.

Joscelyn Joy
Officer

Thanks for sharing guys!

I have lived in several places and have been a little surprised at how different the "same" titled denominations are in different areas. Where I grew up, as part of Girl Scouts, we would visit different denominations to see different ways of worshiping. I grew up in the Methodist church, which has a custom of rotating their ministers. I remember one minister in particular that really would connect with us and taught straight from the Bible. Loved it!  :D My times at the Catholic church in my home town were a bit confusing, as I didn't understand when to sit & stand and all. There were some beautiful parts in the message, though.

During some very rough times in my early to mid adolescence, I started reading the Word for myself. It still brings me to tears the love that Christ has for us, especially as seen before and during his crucifiction. The thing that stood out to me, was that even though he was under such distress (And being in agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground. Luke 22:44) He prayed for his followers... not just the ones alive at the time, but those to come. John 17 holds so much... the heart of Christ.  Vs 20-21: Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on be through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

To me, that bottom lines it.  We are all the body of Christ. That is a beautiful thread through the Word as well. No matter what name you put on what part of it, We believe in Jesus Christ, we are His. I believe that Jesus knew that there would be a temptation to focus on differences, and that it would split the church. That is why he spent literally his last times on this earth praying for us to not fall into that temptation.

Personally, I agree and enjoy the messages more when they are chuck full of the Word... specifically, scripture and verse. :D But, in my talking to other folks, I think it's like Paul said about wanting to give the meat of the Word, but them not being ready for it, so he had to give the milk (1 Chor 3:1-4 ) of the Word. It seems that some people that may not enter a church or even give a second glance to a "meaty" sermon, will actually sit and listen to one that is "milk."  I think that is where certain ministers fall into. I am very thankful that God can and does use different ways to minister to as many folks, after all we are all different. :D

The scriptures you put forth above, are really good. I think that David really did have to understand and use constraint in dealing with Saul... someone who spent so much time and energy into ending his life. Someone whom he was close to before Saul became overcome with envy.

I am certainly grateful for this kin, our family of believers. :)  I thank God for bringing us together and encouraging us. 

All things work together for good to them that love the Lord, -Rom 8:28

Wallgorn

Before I became Catholic, I attended Mass a few times growing up. It always seemed foreign to me also. I remember the first time I attended Midnight Mass (Christmas Day) at a Catholic parish in Fresno, CA. It was standing room only.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reflections of the Light Forum Index -> Devotions.Meditations.Thoughts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: