Recent Images

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reflections of the Light Forum Index -> LotRo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gylnn

re: Lord of The Rings Lore

Is there any of you that have read all of Tolkiens work, even the Silmarillion?

I was reading the comments on a youtube trailer and it seems the reason Dwarfs can be

greedy stems from the rings given to the Dwarven kings to enslave them but for their race only

made them greedy.

Can any one confirm this for me?

Thanks!

Curtis

Joscelyn Joy
Officer

I don't know, Gyl .... I would like to though. Happy

All things work together for good to them that love the Lord, -Rom 8:28

Curandil
Officer

That is correct to an extent.  Dwarves throughout the history of Middle-earth have been overly attached to their stuff.  But this was amplified by the rings of power given to the dwarven kings by Sauron.

When Sauron made the One Ring he wanted to use it to control all of the rings of power.  The elves immediately saw his plan and hid three of the rings. Sauron gave the rest to the Dwarves (7) and Men (9) hoping to bend them to his will. The men fell easily, because they desired power. They later became the Nazgul. The dwarves, however were more resistant.  Tolkein wrote in the Silmarillion: "they ill endure the domination of others, and the thoughts of their hearts are hard to fathom, nor can they be turned to shadows."  They used their rings to gather gold and build wealth, stirring up "wrath and an over-mastering greed of gold in their hearts." (Quotes from, "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age", Silmarillion)

Curathorn - Beorning, Curulindil - Man Minstrel, Curadoc - Hobbit Burglar, Norstrom - Dwarf Guardian, Nimring - Elf Champion, Ethrendil - Man Captain, Curavar - Dwarf Rune-keeper Curabanker - Hobbit Warden/Bank Guard
''...speak to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making music to the Lord in your heart" Ephesians 5:19
Kinsanth: You can take the hunter out of whatever, but not the hunter out of blah blah blah.
"Be not so eager to advance that you fail to experience the moment, in life and in all things." - Deluros, Rivendell
Joscelyn Joy
Officer

Thanks Cura!!! :)

Wow, cool. So, it is good that they were partially immune to the effects of the ring... well not immune, but resistant.  But interesting that they had so many more troubles because of the greed.  .... Dragons & such.'

I was curious if the Woodland elves were swayed by greed or love of pretty stuff.  The movies seem to make them out to ... I don't know; maybe be greedy.  Seemed like when I read the Hobbit that they enjoyed the pretties.... but weren't controlled bye the love of them.  Makes me want to read it again. lol

gylnn

Thank you Cur, appreciate the info.:)

Interesting question Josc. My other question about the Woodland elves, are they really as arrogant as the Hobbit movies make them out to be? The King in the movies seems to be full of himself, let alone not caring about other races where as Elrond seems a bit nicer.:)

Also I see Tolkien's Christianity coming forth from all the evil that greed brings. Money and possessions can be used for good but when you love them more than God or people you end up with all sorts of problems.

Joscelyn Joy
Officer

I know what you mean, Gyl.  It seemed to me that the Woodland elves might be really Holliwoodized in the movies to me.  I disliked how he made the Ents look like they didn't care or how the movies made Radaghast seem crazy either.  The game stays much closer to what I know of the books/lore than the movies did.  I still enjoyed the movies though.

gylnn

True in the sense of "Hollywoodized". But I do admit many people, including myself, don't understand how much of a challenge it is to create a movie based on a book without some embellishment when taking words and making them into pictures.

And I agree Peter Jackson has done a tremendous job, along with other writers, bringing these books alive in picture form.

Lsuman
Council

Elves certainly can be swayed by pretty stuff, there are examples of greed all throughout the Silmarillion (the main reason for the elves to fight for the Silmarils is greed + an oath of vengeance) The movie does overdo it a bit, though, on the greed and their arrogance.

I like pretties myself... hehe  like Christmas trees!  :P  Thanks Lsu Happy  I thought it seemed a bit much, but wasn't totally sure.

Here's a good article from CBN on a book written about the Hobbit.  I thought it was interesting, so thought I'd share it.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2014/December/Tolkien-Truth-Giant-Lessons-from-Little-Hobbits/

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reflections of the Light Forum Index -> LotRo All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: